Press Release feb 2023
For Immediate Release:
Hispanic Contractors Celebrate Successes
Honoring Diversity in Construction; Past, Present & Future
Metro D.C. Hispanic Contractors Association (MDCHCA) is ‘putting on the Ritz’. This year we celebrate 9 years of growth and success with our most elegant & elaborate GALA event to date, ‘Honoring Diversity in Construction: Past, Present & Future’ at the Ritz Carlton, 1150 22nd St. NW, Washington D.C. on Wednesday, April 5, 2023. Our premier event highlights pioneers who have promoted local small businesses, construction industry mentors and future builders.
Our honorees include Courtland Cox, a civil rights activist with the SNCC and past Director of the Office of Minority Business in the District of Columbia. Together with Marion Barry, Courtland put in place the protections and requirements for builders to hire local businesses for their projects, leading the way for the prosperity and inclusion of our small businesses today.
Wes Stith, a Senior Vice President and founder of the Strategic Partnership Program at Clark Construction, who has coached and trained thousands of small businesses in the skills required to handle commercial building projects. He has created a pathway for thousands of business owners, workers and their families to become successful, enter the middle class and beyond.
Sean McGarvey, National President of the Building Trade Unions, who are at the forefront of safety, prosperity and inclusion of our workers in the workplace and at corporate headquarters. The BTUs are responsible for the increased training, safety and wage increases of the construction workforce and dedicated defenders of diversity, equity and wealth distribution in the industry.
Jorge Zamanillo, Director of the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Latino, will present the Museum’s successes and future plans for building the Museum on the Mall.
The evening will include:
- The traditional welcome from Mayor Muriel Bowser, a key supporter of MDCHCA’s Multi-Cultural Construction Academy and the various training and networking activities of our Association.
- The traditional salute from a member of the Diplomatic Corp, this year Colombian Ambassador Luis Gilberto Murillo.
- An address from Paul Choquette, Regional President Gilbane Building Company who will present a video tribute to the late Jon Seavey, Senior Vice President at Gilbane and key mentor to our small businesses.
- Exhibits show casing top projects from various world-class builders in the region.
- Tributes to our OSHA participants, Construction Management students and our first ‘Sub-Contractor of the Year’ award.
… AND MUCH MORE!
Our partners and sponsors for the evening are Amazon, PEPCO/EXELON. Gilbane Building Company, Building Trades Unions, Clark, Grunley, Fort Myer, Winmar, Keystone Plus and more.
An evening filled with pride, beauty and achievement. Join us Wednesday evening, April 5th, putting on the Ritz, for a unique, joyful experience with top figures from the construction industry, finance, real estate and government worlds.
Visit our website for details and tickets or contact: